Criminology and Criminal Justice Major
To graduate with a major in criminology and criminal justice, a student must meet the following requirements:
- Complete a total of 36 semester hours in criminology.
- Make a grade of C or better in the three core courses: CCJ 2020, CCJ 3011, CCJ 4700.
- Maintain an overall GPA of 2.0 and receive no more than two grades below C- in criminology coursework.
- Complete the requirements necessary to earn a minor or second major in another department or program.
- Earn at least 27 (of the 36) semester hours in CCJ coursework directly from the College. (A maximum of 9 semester hours may be transferred in to the major.)
- Fulfill the CLAST requirement before being admitted to the College.
- Fulfill University requirements for either a bachelor of arts (BA) or the bachelor of science (BS) degrees.
Mapping is FSU's academic system that monitors student progress to ensure completion of a bachelor's degree within four years. Mapping provides an 8-semester, 4-year plan and includes milestones that are to be met within a designated semester. Milestones include completion of specific courses, earning minimum grades, and maintaining good academic standing.
The internship program gives students work experience that counts as academic credit. For the designated semester, students work 40 hours per week for a criminology or criminal justice affiliated agency and complete academic requirements outlined in the orientation session. Upon successful completion of the program, students earn 15 credit hours: 3 credit hours toward major requirements and 12 toward general electives.
Most internships are unpaid positions; however, students gain invaluable experience and develop professional relationships with potential employers.
Interested? Learn more »
The student services office helps students with all academic concerns such as registration and scheduling of classes, withdrawals, special exceptions, long-range academic planning, major and University requirements, grade issues, professional and graduate school preparation, graduation checks, and certification. The student services office is staffed with full-time advisors. Academic advising is provided by appointment Monday–Friday 8 a.m.–5 p.m. Walk-in advising hours are Monday–Friday 10 a.m.–3 p.m.