Bachelor’s Internship Program
Below is information regarding the College’s Bachelor’s Internship Program. Please also view documents located in the Related Links box for information on the Internship Process, FAQs, and theInternship Application.
Full Time Internship:
- Work 40 hours per week at affiliated agency
- Earn 15 credit hours (3 credit hours toward major requirements and 12 toward general electives)
- Counts toward minor requirements – you will not need a minor or a second major
Part Time Internship:
- Work 20 hours per week at affiliated agency.
- Earn 8 credit hours (3 credit hours toward major requirements and 5 toward general electives
- Does NOT count toward minor requirements – you will still need to receive a minor or a second major.
Students are required to complete academic assignments to receive a pass fail grade. Since interns are located in a multitude of locations, most of the communication between the faculty and interns is conducted electronically, via e-mail and Web-based instruction. Thus, a working knowledge of these media is necessary.
Students must meet the following requirements to qualify for the program:
- Criminology major
- Complete + 60 credit hours
- Complete the three core courses with a grade of C or better: CCJ 2020, CCJ 3011, CCJ 4700.
- Minimum GPA of 2.0
To participate in an internship, you must complete the following:
- Meet all eligibility requirements (see above)
- Decide what area of the field you are interested in or which specific agency you would like to intern with
- Meet application deadline and complete all required forms located on the right of this page under “Related Links”
- Register for CCJ 4940 (Full-time Internship) or CCJ 4942 (part-time Internship)
- Attend a mandatory orientation session
- Meet the University’s deadline date for fee payment
There are several scholarships available to students who do an internship for academic credit, including a few specifically for students going to Pat Thomas Law Enforcement Academy. Please go to the website for more information about scholarships including deadlines and application information.
Please note: Scholarship applications are due the year before you would like to intern so plan accordingly.
- Fall 2017: Application Deadline – June 24, 2017 (Federal Applications by May 29)
Spring 2018: Application Deadline – Nov. 2, 2017 (Federal Applications by Sept. 26)
Summer 2018: Application Deadline – March 2, 2018 (Federal Applications by Feb. 2)
Remember that agencies may have their own separate application and deadlines.