Reimagining policing, security, and technology through evidence-based research, policy, and practice.
The Policing, Security Technology, and Private Security Research and Policy Institute seeks to significantly contribute to evidence-based public and private safety policies and practices. The Institute partners with police, the private sector, and other agencies to conduct research and evaluation that informs policies and practices. The Institute also plans to offer a full range of training programs aimed at enhancing police and private security executives’ ability to effectively lead their agencies through challenging times.
Law enforcement agencies in America are faced with numerous challenges as they continue to grapple with the loss of community confidence, increasing rates of violence and gun crime in many urban centers, and an increased reliance on technology required for their daily duties. Private security is also facing similar daunting challenges. Now more than ever companies and institutions are turning to their security, safety, and resiliency functions to help them navigate the myriad of threats and disruptions they face in today’s environment. Like their policing counterparts they are being tasked with providing intelligence based proactive (often predictive) business solutions.
Through its research, the Institute aims to inform police and security policy with evidence-based practices that engage the community, increase public safety, and secure government and private assets. Importantly, the Institute seeks to expand the curriculum offered to students at FSU as well as develop and offer executive level continuing education training for police and private security leadership.
- Florida Department of Law Enforcement
- Florida Police Chiefs Association
- Florida State University Police Department
- Florida Sheriffs Association
- Las Vegas Police Department
- Leon County Sheriff’s Office
- Palm Beach County Criminal Justice Commission
- Tallahassee Police Department
- United States Attorney’s Office – Southern District of Florida
- Walton County Sheriff’s Office
- Capital Region Real Time Crime Center
- Article: “FSU Brings Together Local Law Enforcement and Criminology Researchers at New Real-time Crime Center"- Florida State University News, March 30, 2021